Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world’s best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
The Voice Control Platform is part of Comcast Cable’s Technology & Product (T&P) organization and serves the larger company with advanced NLP technologies for searching and discovering any type of content in the entertainment catalog available.
The Voice control Platform needs an engineer that is familiar with scalability principles and micro-services. We will be handling voice requests of millions of customers and are transitioning our platform that operates reliably and efficiently with the latest at-scale technologies.
You will work with other engineers and researchers with backgrounds in advanced fields such as natural language processing, information retrieval, and knowledge representation. As a key member of the team, you will help define, refine, and test state of the art algorithms, and scale the associated systems for high performance, stability, and availability.
Comcast T&P encourages career development with regular opportunities for training and programs for innovative cross-team projects such as week-long Hackathon and job rotation programs over the summer.
Responsible for planning and designing new software and web applications. Analyzes, tests, and assists with the integration of new applications. Oversees the documentation of all development activity.
Trains non-technical personnel. Assists with tracking performance metrics. Integrates knowledge of business and functional priorities.
Acts as a key contributor in a complex and crucial environment. May lead teams or projects and shares expertise.
The job involves:
– Writing production-quality, tested code.
– Understanding the code base for your components in depth.
– Producing technical designs and documentation at varying levels of granularity
– Collaborating with our quality assurance and technical operations teams.
– Participating in code reviews and helping the team to be effective and agile.
– Staying educated on technical developments and tools necessary for the design and maintenance of complex, distributed platforms.
– BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field.
– 4+ years of relevant work experience, including extensive programming experience and strong object-oriented skills including Java server-side development.
– Experience as part of a team doing state-of-the art, object-oriented software development including continuous integration, test-driven-development, automated unit and integration testing.
– Experience with versioning tools. GIT a plus.
– Must demonstrate an understanding of software design patterns and the practical application of those patterns.
– Experience with high-scale, distributed web service development (hands-on experience with RESTful web services).
– Experience with SQL and distributed databases. Cassandra a plus.
– Experience developing service oriented architectures and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
– Knowledge of major open frameworks and platforms including Spring, Docker and Zookeeper.
– Experience with Agile development methodologies and practices.
– Experience with edge services like Zuul.
– UNIX/Linux background: facility with command-line utilities; familiarity with system administration tools and concepts.
– Familiarity with distributed systems and micro-services a plus.
– Experience with Elasticsearch and Lucene.
– Experience with various data interchange and representation formats such as JSON, XML.
– Strong initiative: must be able to take high-level requirements, ask questions and get clarifications, decompose into deliverable software components, design and implement solution to meet functional, performance, and quality acceptance criteria.
– Excellent communication: must be a good listener, willing to ask questions, and able to clearly communicate ideas with team members and external groups.
– Collaborates with project stakeholders to identify product and technical requirements. Conducts analysis to determine integration needs.
– Designs new software and web applications, supports applications under development, and customizes current applications. Develops software update process for existing applications. Assists in the roll-out of software releases.
– Trains junior Software Development Engineers on internally developed software applications.
– Oversees the researching, writing, and editing of documentation and technical requirements, including evaluation plans, test results,technical manuals, and formal recommendations and reports.
– Keeps current with technological developments within the industry.
Monitors and evaluates competitive applications and products. Reviews literature, patents, and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
– Provides technical leadership throughout the design process and guidance with regards to practices, procedures, and techniques. Serves as a guide and mentor for junior level Software Development Engineers.
– Assists in tracking and evaluating performance metrics. Ensures team delivers software on time, to specification, and within budget.
– Works with Quality Assurance team to determine if applications fit specification and technical requirements.
– Displays expertise in knowledge of engineering methodologies, concepts, and skills and their application in the area of specified engineering specialty.
– Displays expertise in process design and redesign skills. Presents and defends architectural, design, and technical choices to internal audiences.
– Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
– Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
– Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
– Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
– Engineering, Computer Science
– Generally requires 7-11 years related experience
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer